Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sad day

So it is 9pm and I am usually already in bed since the kids are in bed.  But I can't seem to get things off my mind.  I had to go to a viewing today for a very dear family friend.  My gran and gramps went with because this man was my grandfather's best friend for many years.  They had been firefighter's together for our town back when it was all still volunteer.  My grandma had become friends with him when he would travel past her bus stop when she was on her way to nursing school with the milk.  Who knew that the man that waved when he passed by was her future husband's best friend? It really was a small world back then but it felt much larger tonight as the gathering of friends, family, and everyone he touched showed up to pay tribute to him.  The receiving line was very long and we waited for almost an hour to pay our condolensces. When we got up there my grandpa started to cry.  I have never seen this man cry in my life. He has always been so stoic, the man that my mom said would hardly say I love you when she was growing up, a man that other than a hug wouldn't kiss or hug.  To see him have so much emotion for his best friend made me cry and thinking about still makes me cry.  It was a beautiful time and it was great to see so many people that have known me since I was just a baby but it was unfortunate circumstances that brought us all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment